Young Chef of the Year Awards

ycofy
Pommery

We are delighted to reveal the finalists of the UK Young Chef of the Year Awards 2017 in association with Champagne Pommery!

We launched our annual competition in May aiming to discover and nurture the next generation of young chefs and encourage young talent working in the UK restaurant industry, giving the 10 finalists the opportunity to host a pop up night in our M Victoria St restaurant.

The panel: Martin Williams, Michael Reid & Richard Bainbridge

The chosen top 10 incredibly skilled, under 29 year old finalists work for some of the cream of the crop restaurants in the UK and we are delighted to work with them to create 10 spectacular nights at M.

After Impressing judges with their culinary expertise, the finalists were selected from among 50 high calibre up and coming chefs who were shortlisted and invited to M Victoria to cook their own signature dishes to a panel of judges including Executive Chef, Michael Reid and Tom Kemble, who have both recently appeared on The Great British Menu.

The 10 finalists will now be mentored by both Michael Reid and Martin Williams to tweak their menu design ready for the ultimate round of the competition, the Bookatable M Young Chef Takeover which will take place at M Victoria St for 10 nights from 25th July – 5th August 2017.

During their restaurant takeover, the young chefs will be scored on the same criteria to form 33% of each finalist’s score by a judging panel which includes Steve Dineen, Toby Wiseman, Richard Bainbridge, Sarah Durdin Robertson, and M Restaurant founder Martin Williams. The remaining 67% will be awarded by paying diners each evening; giving diners the opportunity to be part of the judging process, where they can help to choose the winner of The M & Bookatable Young Chef of the Year 2017.

The chosen young chef will win a 10 night ‘pop up’ serving his winning menu at M Victoria St from 16th — 30th August. Plus a trip to Reims, France courtesy of Champagne Pommery and the title ‘M & Bookatable Young Chef of the Year 2017.’

To reserve a table at the Bookatable M Takeover…

BOOK HERE


Jack

25th July
Jack Barwick of Paradise Garage, sister restaurant to The Dairy


Jack’s flavour-rich menu includes lamb loin with black garlic, and bbq banana with white chocolate fudge.

Kevin

26th July
Kevin Hardy of Les 110 de Taillevent


Having trained at 2-Michelin-starred Le Taillevent in Paris, Kevin’s menu fuses classic and modern French techniques, and includes the likes of red mullet with ratatouille and bouillabaisse.

Chris

27th July
Chris Davis of Compass Group


Taking influence from his time working at 2-Michelin-starred Marcus from Marcus Wareing, Chris’ rich and inventive menu includes lamb loin with wild garlic emulsion, and hay-smoked mackerel with horseradish cream.

Kristian

28th July
Kristian Ordona-Bates of La Belle Époque


Kristian’s cooking style focuses on fish, with Asian influences. His menu features confit trout with cucumber kimchi, and smoked fillet of miso-glazed beef.

Perry

29th July
Perry Torrance of SMITHS of Smithfield


Perry’s menu is packed with hearty flavours and Caribbean influences. Dishes include pork belly with ‘nduja and cheek croquette, and scorched mackerel with gooseberries.

Taylor

1st August
Taylor Batey of The Inn


Taylor describes his menu as ‘cooking the best quality British food with a modern twist and emphasis on flavour.’ On his menu, discover the likes of loin of venison with pickled raspberries and bitter chocolate jus.

Aaron

2nd August
Arran Seymour of Goose Fat & Wild Garlic


Trained at maze by Gordon Ramsay, Arran’s menu includes pan-roasted pollock with a garlic sauce, and slow-cooked duck egg with hay and grains.

Will

3rd August
William Bowman Smith of Woughton House


Adding modern flair to classic flavours and locally sourced ingredients, William’s menu includes pan-fried smoked mackerel wrapped in brioche, and a passion fruit meringue pie.

Guillaume

4th August
Guillaume Dunos of La Ferme


Passionate about French cooking, Guillame’s menu includes slow-cooked lamb shoulder with figs, and red mullet with aubergine dashi purée.

Valantin

5th August
Valentin Perelle of Five Fields


Working at Michelin-starred Five Fields, Valentin’s menu includes a pan-fried scallop flambée and roast duck breast with star anise salt and Grand Marnier sauce.


Media Contacts

Josephine Ellis, Head of Communications, Bookatable by Michelin

Josephine.ellis@bookatable.com  / +44 (0)207 199 4344

Leah Butson, M Restaurants

Leah@joriwhitepr.co.uk / +44 (0)207 734 7001